Cleaning up Christmas

     A little later than last year.  -The Christmas cleanup that is.  I waited until my son went back to grad school.  I wanted to squeeze out every last drop of winter break that I could.  Putting away Christmas decorations is not my family's favorite thing to do.  For me, however, handling the ornaments is like handling memories.  I still remember playing with a lot of them as a child.  Yes, my sister and I would play with the angels and animal ornaments on and off the tree.  We also made yarn dolls, which my grandfather taught us how to do and made up stories with them as well.  This year I reminded my sister of the angel hierarchy we used in the stories.  There was the queen angel who was the largest of them all and also a music box, wearing white flowing chiffon.  Then there was the second in command, a slightly smaller music box angel.  Then came the tree ornament angels.  The angels in red and the angels in gold both with wispy yellow hair.  They were elegant and beautiful.  We used to make these fly around the house.  No, I am not making this up.  Then came our favorite angels.  Mine had a pink dress and pink hair.  My sister's was in blue with blue hair.  They were not as elegant as the others but they were by far the most important for some reason and the most played with.  I wonder if kids play with their ornaments nowadays.  I hope so, because it was a blast every year.  Then there is the Santa Claus music box.  He was round and his tummy was soft like a perfect ball.  But it was his rabbit fur beard that held our fascination.  Yes it was fur, and did we love to pet that beard.  We would hug him and rub noses with him too.  (I have a very good memory.)  I have him now.  The music box part no longer works, but I don't care.  So in the box you go for another year!  See you in December!



Below is a picture of me in red and sister in blue looking at a Santa that lit up and could be seen from the street.


Comments

Popular Posts