Borscht (Beet Soup) - Recipe

     In January I look for the foods that are nutritious power houses.  It especially feels good to eat vitamin rich soups as I get back into a routine after the holidays.  Borscht, an Eastern European beet soup, has more variations than I can count.  Here is my version packed with beets, onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, and cabbage.  To give it the customary slightly sour flavor I use lemon juice, and because I like mine to have a hint of sweetness, I add raisins.  For even more vitamins I include the beet greens too.  The base of the soup is, of course, my pressure cooker stock with all its gelatinous goodness.  Be sure to follow my blog to not miss any recipes!


Borscht

(Makes 12 cups)

2 T. Palm Oil
2 medium Onions chopped
4-5 Garlic Cloves chopped
2 Russet Potatoes chopped into cubes
6 Carrots peeled and sliced
4 Celery Stalks diced
8 c.  Chicken Stock ( rich and gelatinous, see Pressure Cooker Stock)
2 tsp. Coarse Sea Salt
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp. Whole Coriander
4 c. Savoy Cabbage sliced thinly
4 c. Beets (about 6 medium beets) peeled and grated with large holes of grater
2 c. Beet Greens chopped
2/3 c. Red Seedless Raisins chopped
2 T. Fresh Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste
Sour Cream
Fresh Dill

Melt oil in a large Dutch oven on medium heat.  Add onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
Sauté vegetables 5 minutes.  Add stock, salt, bay leaves, and coriander.  Simmer until potatoes are softened.  Add cabbage, beets, beet greens, and raisins.  Simmer until cabbage is wilted and beets are soft.  Stir in lemon juice then add salt and pepper to taste.  Garnish with sour cream and fresh dill.


Adding cabbage, beet greens, and raisins.

Finished.

Garnish with sour cream and fresh dill.

Comments

Popular Posts