Summer Squash Stroganoff - Recipe


     Perhaps it is just that I am excited for fall and all the cool weather recipes to come that I decided to make a stroganoff tonight.  This is more of a transitional end-of-summer dish I think.  Instead of the traditional mushrooms, I am using the lovely summer squash that is available now, and using plain goat yogurt instead of sour cream (a lighter choice).  You may use plain cow yogurt if you prefer.  I am partial to the flavor of nutmeg in my stroganoffs, which gives it a German flair, and I always include a dollop or two of lingonberry jam on the side.  Lingonberries are tiny little cranberry-like berries with a hint of clove that grow wild on the mountainsides of Scandinavia.  I actually saw the plants when I was in Norway.  Those of you who have my cookbook, Exceptional Comfort: The Recipes Volume I, already know I am a big fan of the little berries, and can imagine my excitement upon seeing them growing in their native habitat.  Anyway, enjoy the last bit of summer and look forward to fall!

Summer Squash Stroganoff

(6 Servings)

2 T. Olive Oil
2 Medium Onions sliced thinly
1 Small Head Garlic or 3/4 Large Head Garlic diced
2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
2 c. Chicken Broth
1/4 c. All Purpose Flour
2 Summer Squash (Yellow) cut into chunks
2/3 c. Plain Goat Yogurt
White Pepper to Taste
6 Servings Cooked Pasta
Lingonberry Jam (Optional)*


Heat olive oil in a 5 qt. Dutch oven over medium heat and sauté the onions a few minutes to soften.  Add garlic and sauté until aromatic.  Add the ground beef, salt, cardamom, and nutmeg.  Brown until there is no more pink.  Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth.  Mix the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth and flour in a separate cup with a fork until smooth, then set aside.  Bring the stew to a simmer and move some of the meat aside in the pot.  Pour the flour/broth mixture into the liquid side stirring quickly.  Keep stirring, incorporating the meat, until the sauce is thickened and the flour cooked (about 5 minutes).  Add the squash and simmer, stirring, for 5 more minutes until it is just tender and a nice bright yellow.  Add the yogurt, and pepper to taste.  Continue to warm, but do not boil.  Serve over your favorite pasta with a dollop of lingonberry jam.

*Note:  You can find Lingonberries in most Scandinavian stores.  I prefer to order Felix Lingonberries.  They seem to have less sugar than other brands I have tried over the years and more berry flavor. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts