Pumpkin Seed, Onion Greens, and Garlic Pesto

     Today at the farmer's market, I brought home some young yellow onions that did not have their bulbs fully formed.  They were not scallions; they were what I would call summer onions.  The tops looked green and tender, so I thought of something special to make with them.  What about a pesto with the onion greens, garlic, and herbs from my garden?  The thyme and oregano are doing well, so I went outside and snipped off a handful of thyme and a sprig of oregano.  The oregano was quite strong in flavor, so I did not want as much of it as the thyme.  I used sprouted pumpkin seeds to offset the herbs and onion greens.  They add a slightly nutty flavor and texture, and are a good nut alternative for a pesto.  I paired the pesto with the red new potatoes I also brought home today.  There is something about summer produce that is such a joy to prepare and eat.

Clockwise from lower left: garlic, young onion greens, thyme, oregano 




Pumpkin Seed, Onion Greens, and Garlic Pesto

(Makes 1/2 cup)

3 10-inch Young Onion Greens chopped in 2 inch pieces
1/4 c. Fresh Thyme roughly chopped
2-3 Garlic Cloves roughly chopped
1 Sprig Fresh Oregano roughly chopped
3 T. Organic Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds
1 tsp. Salt
5 T. Olive Oil

Place all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor.  Turn on the processor and slowly add the olive oil.  Continue processing until the mixture reaches desired consistency, stopping and unplugging the machine periodically to scrape the sides.  Scoop into a container, taste, and adjust the salt.

Serving suggestion:  Serve with boiled red new potatoes.


Comments

Popular Posts