To Be or Not To Be and Ovarian Cancer Awareness

     I saw a tweet today asking what was your secret for success in life, business,or  relationships.  I chose to answer the life question.  The answer depends on the definition of success, doesn't it?  For some it is tied to the size or type of house, car, and property they have.  For others it is personal happiness.  For me it has evolved over the years.  It has been a combination of many things.  Health, family, raising children to be decent human beings, being financially sound, and inner peace.  I think the most important to me is inner peace.  It sounds cliche, but really, I have found that if you have inner peace, you can surmount and transform any experience or challenge that may come your way.  So for me to have inner peace, means that I don't have worry or feel anxiety about the challenge of the day be it trivial or serious.  It is an ongoing exercise.  Here was the answer I tweeted:  Decide how you are to BE (your state of mind) from one moment to the next, instead of circumstances deciding for you.
     Now, how does one do that exactly?  We don't have control over our emotions, or do we?  I think that we do to a certain extent.  Let's say that someone says something not so nice at a social event.  My first reaction is to get angry of course.  Next, I defend myself.  However, lets say the other person continues to be a jerk, and after it is all over I am fuming.  I could have walked away, because nothing I said would have made a difference in that situation.  It is also my decision to continue to be angry or not.  So, while I don't have control over what other people say or do, I do have control over what I do, and even how I feel.
     Let's say you have a really big problem,  a life threatening health issue.  This is where deciding how to BE may be a little tricky, but is more important than ever.  When I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2009, I noticed that it was easy to slip into a dark place of despair if I wasn't careful.  It felt even more physically awful.  So I had to figure out what kept me from going there.  One thing was - don't stop moving.  I was able to move about the house slowly.  It did not matter if it took a half hour to unload the dish washer, it kept me moving.  However, on the deepest level what helped me the most was deciding how to pray, because how I prayed determined what I believed.  What I believed determined my emotions and how I felt from one moment to the next.  What influences what you believe?
     In honor of ovarian cancer awareness month I wish to share some symptoms of ovarian cancer.  Here is Dr Oz's symptom tracker.  I believe it is important to know.
http://www.ovarian.org/docs/Ovarian_Cancer_Web_sheet_v3_10.pdf


Here is my personal story.




















Comments

Popular Posts