The Big Blue Ball


     When I was very young, my father had the job of getting my Great Aunt Bert (I did not know her real name, Bertha, till I was older) a live Christmas tree every year.  I liked to deliver it with him because we got to see her black cat, Blackie, and it was always a happy time to find the tree in the crisp Chicago weather then haul it into her house.  Once decorated, the adults always drew our attention to one ornament in  particular. - the Big Blue Ball.  They said it was special because it was very, very, old. It was made of heavy glass and bigger than anything else on the tree.  Therefore, one must be careful around it and always hang it from a low sturdy branch.
     My Aunt lived to almost 100, as did most Eldred women, and I inherited the Big Blue Ball.  I absolutely love this ornament.  I get all bleary eyed every year when I take out the ornaments and decorate, then I tell my son the Big Blue Ball story, so he can tell his kids where it came from.

Do you have a favorite ornament story?  I would love to hear it!

Comments

  1. We used to travel to Frankenmuth, Mi every year and part of that visit was a stop at the Bronners store. As I kid, we would get to choose one ornament. I remember going thru the store looking for that one ornament. To this day, I still have the spider web and Lolly pop (stick slightly broken). I still see signs for Bronners when driving along I-80 - I think about all those visits.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts