Grocery Shopping Strategy

Step 1- Make a list of your must have items.  These are all the things you want in your house at all times no matter what you plan to cook for the week.  I typed out the must haves and keep it in a folder.  Every week I pull it out and check it over to see if I am running low on anything.  If I am, I write down that item on a separate paper (This week's list).  Here is my must haves:  It is helpful to name brands you prefer, so if someone else does the shopping, they will know what you want.

Food Items
Apples
Bananas
Bacon
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Butter
Canned Tomatoes
Cereal
Eggs
Favorite Organic Frozen Vegetables (Peas, Corn)
Flours (Bread, All Purpose, Whole Wheat, Barley, Rye, Oat)
Garlic
Grapes
Jam
Ketchup
Lunch Meat
Milk
Mustard
Oatmeal
Olive oil
Onions
Orange Juice
Oranges
Orange Juice
Pasta
Pears
Potatoes
Pumpkin (canned)
Raisins
Rice
Salt
Soy Sauce
Sugar (White, Brown)
Vinegar (Balsamic, White, Red Wine, Apple Cider)
Yeast
Yogurt

Nonfood Items
Foil
Parchment Paper
Paper Towels
Plastic Wrap
Zip Lock Bags
Personal Care Items (soaps, vitamins, etc)


Step 2 – Plan your meals for the week.  It really isn’t so bad.  Just write out the days of the week on the grocery list page you started.  Jot down ideas as they come.  Mix and switch as you plan.

For Example:
Monday   -   Salmon in Balsamic Vinegar   Gren Beans Accented with Garlic and Basil, Mashed Potato Vegetable Casserole
Tuesday   -    Chicken Hassenfeffer  - Egg Spaetzle
Wednesday  -   Chicken Hassenfeffer – Egg Spaetzle
Thursday  Pork  - Chops and White Lima Beans
Friday  - Pork Chops and White Lima Beans
Saturday  Spaghetti Sauce
Sunday -   Beef Brisket With Honey Mustard Glaze,  Potatoe Gratin, Butternut Squash

Step 3 – Get the recipes out and add to the list what you need for these specific dishes.  If you have the item in the pantry, skip and check if you have the next one.  You will only be adding what you will be eating the planned week in this step.

Now go shopping!  You will not buy everything under the sun just because you think you may need it.  I save money this way and time.  Time, because I don’t waist time every night wondering what I am going to make.  Plan once and do it.  It is also less stressful, because if I wait to choose what I am going to make right before I make it,  I am usually rushed and not  in the creative mood.  We end up with better meals in the end.

Comments

  1. this is a great idea - I wish I would have thought of it earlier - Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts