The Art of Conversation - The Archaic Telephone

     This is a post discussing the art of conversation.  For me, having a conversation with other human beings is very comforting in general. Let’s take phone conversations for instance; I always liked talking on the phone as a teenager.  –Not really all that surprising.  I could go on for hours talking with my friends.  I talked for hours with my boyfriend too, who is now my husband.  Today I put the speaker phone on and talk with my sister who lives halfway across the country, and we go about our business keeping each other company. 
     I wonder now if it is becoming a lost art.  I do notice more and more now that teenagers not only never seem to communicate with the phone, but actively avoid it.  Texting, face book, and emails seem to have taken over all communication.  In fact when they do actually have to use the phone to accomplish the communication task, they seem ill equipped to effectively communicate what they need to the listener.  They seem uncomfortable with the whole process of listen, talk, listen, talk, etc.
     I think that newer forms of communication seem to be more like talking at someone instead of to someone.  The immediate response of someone is not necessary, and sometimes there is no response at all.
      Has anyone noticed this?

Comments

Popular Posts