Comfort for Empty Nesters

Well, the graduation flurry is starting to wind down.  The last parties are this weekend and the family has flown/driven back to their homes.  My son's graduation was a big event at our house.  Family came in from out of state.  Some had not been in Virginia, since before he was born.  We celebrated in style with a pulled pork barbeque and the coconut cream chocolate layer cake.  In a few short months he will be off to college and things will be very, very quiet.


What does a mom do to fill that empty void?  I think that my life lessons I learned during cancer treatment will prove helpful.  I intend to be completely joyful and rejoice in my son's successes and new life.  He not only had a fantastic high school experience, but now he will embark on many new independent adventures.  This is what I as a parent have worked for and have no business being blue and depressed.  I am blessed to be here, and my work is not done.  For he will always know that I will always be 100% behind him.  So, congratulations to the parents of our graduates. I am ok with the bittersweet feelings, and am grateful I am here to experience them.

Comments

  1. I think you stated the feelings of many parents at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I intend to be completely joyful...." LOVE that! Great advice for all of us as we send off our children to college and beyond.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts