The Power of Encouragement

     I think encouragement in all forms is an undervalued gift.  Think of a time when you almost did not try something, but someone said, "Hey, you can do this!"  Then low and behold you did!
     Perhaps one of the most powerful forms of encouragement is the humble get well card.  I can say I never knew how great an impact it had until I was on the receiving end.  I am so grateful for every one I got.  I got cards from friends, relatives, and people for whom I played the harp at their weddings from years ago.  Each one had the power to lift me up.  I felt the words had a real impact of hope and support, which lifted my spirits and made me feel better overall.  I could actually feel the power of their encouragement and good wishes.

     One friend continued to send cards of encouragement every couple weeks, or she would stop by and have a little book of inspirational reading.  Sometimes she would stop by and simply chat about normal things and normal life.  She had a knack of calling just at the right moment when I could use a little encouragement.  For instance I was shaving my hair into a buzz cut (because it was falling out all over the house), when she called and asked, "Want to go to lunch?"  I got to debut my new blond wig (I was a brunette), right away!  You might as well live on the wild side if you got the chance, right?  I answered, "Sure, as soon as I finish shaving my head!"
     I think hearing people say, "I know you can! I know you can!" made a big difference in my life, and I am grateful forever.  So never underestimate the power of that little get well card, because it will be valued more than you can ever know.

     How have words of encouragement changed your life?  Leave a comment to share.

Comments

  1. I have found that its the little words that help the most - like the ones shouted from the side of the road by strangers as I waddle by during a race - or simple words of encouragement from a coworker while dealing with the latest "crisis of the day"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts