Chemotherapy Side Effects


Minimizing the Effects of Chemotherapy
Kimberly’s Personal Recipe

     Relieving suffering is exceptional comfort.  It is my intention to share what helped me get through the day.  It is my gift to you, your friends, and family.   I am not a doctor.  Everyone’s situation is unique, so be empowered to discover your own recipe for relief!  Information in this blog is not intended to cure or treat any disease. Any action taken based on information in this blog or its links is at your own risk.  Always check with your doctor to make sure what you try is safe for your situation. 
 
·       -  I followed instructions for medication from my doctor!  I made a spreadsheet with the days of the week going across, the time of day going down, and filled in what medicines I was supposed to take.  It helped to keep me on schedule.

·       -  I drank lots of water.  Eating beef broth, vegetable soup, beans, red meat, and eggs helped my energy level.  I ate often and didn’t let my stomach get empty.  Even a cracker helped.

·        - For gas, I ate yogurt.

·        - After a chemotherapy session, I took a walk as soon as I could.  Slowly strolling helped the uncomfortable pressure in the abdomen from IP chemotherapy.  It also helped me recover from a session more quickly. I also found eating a little piece of chocolate was a nice pick up and lifted my spirits.

·        - For energy, I walked around the block in the morning.  Even five minutes outside was invigorating, got systems moving, and improved energy the rest of the day.  I tried to keep moving throughout the day.  I could only move slowly and putter about, but it made a big difference in how I felt both mentally and physically.

·          -I found that doing movements that targeted the abdomen and the sides of my torso, such as gentle belly dancing movements, stimulated my slowing digestive system. While sitting, I also dipped my shoulders from side to side in a scooping motion to help things move along the digestive system.



·         -For taste bud retention/recovery and mouth sores, I took a little olive oil before and after a meal.  This was highly effective for me.
- Suck air in and out of mouth to dry tongue
- Put a small amount of olive oil on a teaspoon and place on tongue to coat
- Rub olive oil with tongue to coat mouth and gums

·         -I tried a number of alternative energy healing techniques for side effects and stress.
--
     -Playing my harp for just a few minutes helped the numbness and stiffness in my hands.  The movement and stimulation seemed to make a big difference.  I also massaged my feet every morning just for a minute or two before I got up.  It helped the numbness disappear.









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts