Cranberry Chard Chutney With Maple Sausage - Comfort Food Recipe

     I love to experiment with cranberries and make something new every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Scandinavians often pair berries with meat, so I thought a maple sausage would taste good with the tartness of the cranberries.  Also Swiss Chard has found its way into a lot of my recipes this fall.  It is a healthy dark green which adds an interesting flavor, texture, and color to anything I add it to.  This dish is both savory and sweet with organic palm sugar, which is slightly less sweet that brown sugar and has a deeper caramel flavor.
     This makes a delicious side dish for your holiday table.  You could even serve it at breakfast on Christmas morning!



Cranberry Chard Chutney With Maple Sausage

(Makes 3 cups)

1 lb. Organic Frozen or Fresh Cranberries
1 c. Water
3/4 c. Organic Palm Sugar
5 Large Green Swiss Chard Leaves deveined, and chopped in 1 1/2 - 2 inch pieces
11 oz. Maple Turkey Sausages - cooked and chopped to bite size

Place cranberries, water, and sugar in a pasta pot without the insert.  I use a pot with high sides to accommodate the Swiss chard. Bring to a boil on medium heat and lower to simmer, stirring until about 2/3 of the berries have burst and the sauce is thickened.  Add the Swiss chard and simmer, stirring until reduced in size and softened.  Add the sausages to warm through.  Place in a serving dish and serve warm.

Note:  Notice I said "frozen" cranberries.  Usually as a rule, I am all about fresh, but I have noticed that frozen cranberries are usually larger, and more flavorful than the bagged berries I find in the grocery stores during the holidays.



Comments

Popular Posts