Awesome Pot Roast - Recipe - Braising Series

     This is the first of my Fall Braising Series.  I love, love, love this time of year for cooking!  My son gave me the name of this recipe.  So I will start with this one.  The warm spices, molasses, and balsamic vinegar make this a hit.  Everyone's mouth will water as your house fills with its spicy aroma.  Beef chuck blade roasts are my cut of choice for pot roasts.  They become melt-in-your mouth tender during the braising process.  Braising for a long time is a good thing here.  The tough tendons become gelatinous and serve to moisten the meat.  Braising is cooking at a relatively low temperature with the lid on and contents just lightly simmering.  I typically add liquid to reach about 3/4 of the height of the contents, and braise in the oven or on the stove top (recipes where the meat is cut into small pieces are good for the stove top).  You can actually use meat that has been cut into chunks for this recipe if you prefer.  I always pick 100 % grass fed beef for the superior flavor as well.  I remember the first time I brought a grass fed roast home and how I was struck by the amazing aroma when I browned it.  I had not smelled beef like that since I was a kid growing up in Illinois.  It was like a memory that hit me up side the head.  I did not even realize what I was missing.  It even tasted like my grandmothers beef.  Never going back.







AWESOME POT ROAST
(Serves 6)

2 (2-lb.) Beef Chuck Blade Roasts
Salt
Ground Black Pepper
2 T. Palm Oil
2 c. Red Wine
1 Onion sliced
4 Carrots peeled and sliced
4 cloves Garlic chopped
2 Bay Leaves

Water
1 tsp. dried Thyme
1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp. Ground Allspice
1 T. Molasses
1/4 c. Balsamic Vinegar
All Purpose Flour for thickening
Margarine for thickening




Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Season roast with salt and pepper. Heat palm oil on medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Brown meat on all sides. Add red wine, onion, carrots, garlic, and bay Leaves. Add enough water so liquid reaches 3/4 of the way up the ingredients. Sprinkle the thyme, cloves, and allspice over top of roast. Add molasses and balsamic vinegar to the top of roast. Bring to a simmer on medium high, then cover and roast in the oven for 2 hours or till tender (when it is stuck with a fork, it should be very, very tender).  Let it sit for 30 minutes, covered, out of the oven. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving dish, discard the bay leaves, and separate the fat from the liquid using a fat separator. Place liquid back into the Dutch oven and bring to a simmer on medium heat. For each cup of liquid mix 1 tablespoon flour and 1 tablespoon margarine with a fork (I use a mug). Turn off heat and whisk in the mixture a little at a time. Bring back to a simmer, whisking until thickened. Pour gravy onto the roast and vegetables, then serve.


Comments

Popular Posts