Creative Ways to Add Greens to Your Diet - Cooking Tip


     One way to get healthy leafy greens into your diet is to add them to something else you are already making.  I don't always want to make a separate dish with my greens, but I usually do want them cooked.  Adding greens such as green Swiss chard or rainbow chard, bok choy, etc. can add beautiful color to your meat sauces.  They usually don't take over or alter the flavor of the dish either.  I like adding them to spaghetti and chili.  That way I instantly get an added boost of vitamins with every serving!
     Another way to incorporate them is to put them in a casserole.  I have also added baby bok choy to shepherd's pie, and Swiss chard to lamb paté, curry, and chutney.
     I always add roughly chopped greens near the end of the cooking time if it is simmering in a pot  on the stove.  In the case of the shepherd's pie, I cooked the meat filling on the stove, adding the greens right before transferring to the baking dish.  For lamb paté, I put the uncooked greens on the flattened meat before rolling it up.  Try out the recipe for the Lamb Paté with Swiss Chard, Goat Cheese, and Garlic or Lamb Paté with Sweet Potato, Chèvre, and Swiss Chard.  They cook up quickly; we don't want them cooked to extinction.  In a few minutes you have a beautiful, healthy addition to your dish.

Lamb Paté with Swiss Chard, Goat Cheese, and Garlic

Lamb Paté with Swiss Chard, Goat Cheese, and Garlic


Cranberry Chard Chutney with Maple Sausage

Pumpkin Lamb Curry with Swiss Chard

Lamb Paté with Sweet Potato, Chèvre, and Swiss Chard

Lamb Paté with Sweet Potato, Chèvre, and Swiss Chard



Green Swiss Chard Added to a Thrown Together Chili


Comments

Popular Posts