The Egg Coffee Story

     I came to breakfast one morning to find my grandparents doing something only a kid (at the time I was around 11 years old) would love to do.  Mixing coffee grounds with raw egg, including the egg shell!  I asked,  "What are you doing?!!"  This had to be the strangest thing yet.

     They proceeded to explain in great detail the history of the enamel lined pot decorated with Scandinavian rosemaling.  This was the proper pot to make this type of coffee.  It is difficult to find this kind of pot now.  Antique stores may carry them, but I find my enamel lined tea kettle does the job just fine.

      There was an art to the mixing of the grounds too.  Don't over mix, -and use your fingers!  Of course, wash well afterwards.  This coffee has a lighter color than regular coffee, and it is beloved by Midwest Scandinavians for its flavor.  This procedure takes the bitter edge off of the coffee.  I always loved the smell of coffee, but not its bitterness.  Smooth Egg Coffee made many a Sunday morning special.

   


Recipe Available on iBooks®


                                                          

                                                                                                                  



Apple logo and iBooks are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.




Comments

Popular Posts