Skillet Corn Bread - Recipe

     Corn bread is a very personal thing here in the South.  I have lived more years in Virginia than I have in Illinois and have always been fascinated by the variations of corn bread.  Each time it has different texture and sugar content.  Some have whole kernels of corn added too.  I decided that for me, my preference depends on what else I am eating.  If I am eating it on its own for a snack or tea, I like it a bit on the sweet side.  If I am having a stew or if it is with dinner, I like it less sugary.  I won't go so far as to eliminate all sugar from the bread.  Adding just a little gives it better overall flavor.  No matter what, I like it moist with a buttery flavor.

     This version is the kind I would put with stew.  It has a hint of sugar, but not much more.  It has just enough to enhance the corn flavor.  I bake it in my cast iron skillet, which is great fun.






Skillet Corn Bread

2 c. Yellow Cornmeal finely ground
1/2 c. All Purpose Flour
1 T. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 c. Plain Goat Yogurt
1 1/2 c. Water
3 Eggs
6 T. Butter

     Place a well seasoned 12-inch cast iron skillet in the oven then preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  As the oven warms, whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.  In another bowl whisk the yogurt, water, and eggs together.  When the oven is at temperature, carefully take the pan out with oven mitts on and place on the stove top.  Carefully melt the butter in the hot pan.  Move the butter about to grease the pan bottom and sides.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, whisking just till incorporated.  Add melted butter and whisk to incorporate.  Pour the batter into the skillet and bake 20 minutes until golden on top and a cake tester comes out clean.  Let rest 10 minutes before cutting.  You may serve from the skillet.  However, do not store in the skillet.  The moisture sitting in the pan will cause rust.  Store cut pieces on a platter with plastic wrap lightly draped over the cornbread, letting in a little air flow.  It keeps well for two days.

Comments

Popular Posts