Cranberry Cherry Chutney - Recipe

      Cranberry Cherry Chutney is the answer to my Thanksgiving and Christmas cranberry quandary.  Every year I like to try a new cranberry recipe.  In preparation for the big day, this afternoon I decided to put together a completely different take on the cranberry sauce idea.  I had frozen dark sweet cherries in my freezer and wondered what they would taste like with dried cranberries.  I added a bosc pear, chopped up green onion, and something for a little warmth.  I had no fresh peppers and don't care for black pepper here.  I thought about cayenne, but oh, here I have a new spice I have never tried before and kind of forgotten about.  Chipotle chili pepper.  Chipotle chilies are smoke dried jalapeños.  This was the perfect thing.  A little heat and a little smoke.  Wow.  The final product all came together.  The sweet, tart, chewy cranberries blended with the gentle pureed dark cherries perfectly.  The green onions gave it a savory note, and the pear -a lovely texture and freshness.  Then comes the Chipotle chili pepper with its earthy smokiness which infused its flavor without overpowering all the others.  All parts of the choir were heard in perfect harmony.  Pair it with the Thanksgiving turkey or roast chicken, and people will be singing your praises.



Cranberry Cherry Chutney

(Makes 2 cups)

3/4 c. Frozen Dark Sweet Cherries pureed
1 c. Dried Cranberries roughly chopped
1/2 c. Green Onion finely chopped
3/4 c. Bosc Pear finely chopped
1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. Chiptole Chili Pepper
Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.  Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
 




Comments

Popular Posts