Baked Beans - Recipe



(Serves 6)

1 (12-oz.) pkg. Bacon
1 lg. Onion
2 (24-oz.) cans Pinto Beans
1 (15-oz.) can Great Northern Beans
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 c. Brown Sugar

1/2 c. Molasses
3 T. Cider Vinegar
1 T. Mustard
1 tsp. Dry Mustard
1/2 c. Ketchup

     Cut bacon in 1 inch pieces, and fry on medium heat in a 5 or 5 1/2 quart Dutch oven until it is brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Chop and fry the onion in the bacon fat, then discard excess fat. Drain beans and set aside. Combine the salt, brown sugar, molasses, cider vinegar, mustard, dry mustard, and ketchup. Place everything in the Dutch oven or a bean pot. Cover and bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 45 minutes.

Equipment:      I have used Le Creuset Dutch ovens to bake my beans for years.  They cook the beans keeping them tender, and they stay nice and warm in the cast iron while serving.  I also like the fact that the enamel does not react with the tomato ketchup, vinegar, and beans (acidic foods) in my recipe.  My Dutch ovens are an older style than these shown here.  These have larger handles than the ones I have, which makes them easier to hold onto.  Also, I can move from stove to oven without changing pots!


Comments

Popular Posts